|Holzwerken:||Allgemeines Linklisten Artikel Projekte Impressum||
|Museum:||Allgemeines Werkzeuge Hersteller/Händler Patente Artikel|
Sonstige Hersteller/Händler Hamburger Werkzeugmacher Wer liefert(e) was?
Alte Fabrikansichten Kataloge Markenzeichen Markensuche
Die folgende Beschreibung und die Kopie einer Anzeige stammen aus dem Ausstellungskatalog von "The Cutting Edge".
Die Ausstellung fand statt von Juli bis Oktober 1992 in der Ruskin Gallery in Sheffield/England.
"J. & R. DODGE Joseph and Robert Dodge are listed in the 1862 Sheffield Directory as merchants and manufacturers of table cutlery based at 68 and 70 West Street. In 1864 they moved to 47 Eyre Lane and then to Bridge Street in 1879. In 1879 the firm advertised that they were manufacturers of files and edge tools and indeed their mark appears on such tools. However, they did not actually manufacture these tools, they operated as merchants and factors buying a wide variety of products from specialist makers. The goods, including cutlery, hollow-ware (silver & plate), saws, files and edge tools were given the J. & R. Dodge mark and were then shipped to their contacts based in Holland who required them. This was common practice, even amongst manufacturers themselves, the most important factor being that the goods had been sold. Because of the high quality of goods which the J. & R. Dodge mark was given to, it become respected as a sign of quality. When the business was bought by Francis Newton of Portobello Road in 1894 the Dodge mark continued to be used. Subsequent buyers continued this practice; the last recorded entry of the mark in the register of Trademarks Book, Cutlers Hall, Sheffield is in 1974 when it expired through non-payment of renewal."
Nach Gerrit van der Sterre [GvdS] lebten J. & R. Dodge um 1825 in Amsterdam und eröffneten dort nach 1831 zwei Geschäfte in der Leidsestraat und in der Kalverstraat.
Zwiemandl mit einem Eisen von J. & R. Dodge
Gerrit van der Sterre: Four Centuries Of Dutch Planes And Planemakers